The University of California, Merced is the tenth campus of the UC system and the first American research university built in the 21st century.
Strengthening Talents & Exploring Pathways (STEP) is a program designed for 2nd year students preparing to transition from Undeclared to a major. The STEP Fellow is an enthusiastic and driven individual who is responsible for student outreach and community building for the program's targeted population. This incumbent will work closely with the Program Coordinator to ensure that STEP Scholars are well integrated into the program. This incumbent is creative, strategic, and enjoys fostering an inclusive environment for students from diverse backgrounds. This position starts June 1-August 16; Position is renewable for 2016-2017 academic year.
Attend mandatory staff training January 12-13, 2017. Full day.
Attend weekly staff meetings (TBD)
Assist Program Coordinator with programming and activities facilitation
Coordinate presentations to various student groups, classes, orientation, Preview Day, Bobcat Day, and assigned campus events
Personalize outreach to students over the course of admissions period and course of year
Meet with new Scholars at New Student Orientation, gathering group and parents during lunch for sharing, update, information, and to begin establishing the spirit of community within program
Track student participation, maintain accurate records of all contacts and interactions
Proactively build relationships with students, professors, advisors, programs and student organizations in effort to promote Program
Identify opportunities for enhancing Program name, student benefits, and relations
Assist Program Coordinator with event planning and program coordination
Assist with set up and clean-up before and at the end of the program.
Manage STEP Program Facebook Group page and communication
Assist Program Coordinator with agency partner identification and outreach efforts
Other duties assigned
||- Full-time enrollment status at the sophomore level or higher at UC Merced; Transfer and non-transfer students are both eligible to serve in the program
- 3.0 GPA or higher requirement; student must maintain GPA requirement t all times.
- Preferred experience in originating as an undeclared student, or having a background in which a major of change was made
Strong preference for students who have overcome academic difficulties including pre-college level math or writing placement; prior experience in overcoming academic probation or dismissal; other success in overcoming hardships
Abilities and Knowledge:
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, professional etiquette, reliability, promptness, excellent written and spoken skills
- Interested in helping others, with future goals aligned with the goals of the SSS STEP Program
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision and exercise sound judgment
- Must be available to participate in trainings and weekly meetings
- Good knowledge of social media, networking, and advertisement
- Able to work with and support a diverse body of students
- Excellent communication skills
- Effective organizational and time management skills
To complete the STEP Fellow position, the following are due by April 30th, Noon.
1) Complete an online application & Submit a resume at jobs.ucmerced.edu
2) Complete an online Supplemental Application: http://goo.gl/forms/zxl2UU1nPs